What’s the best golf rangefinder? The Bushnell Pro X2 is the winner for 2020. Bushnell is the #1 rangefinder on professional tours around the world with good reason, the majority of professional golfers trust its advanced design in their preparation for events. Check out the comparison table below to see the best golf rangefinders, the most affordable rangefinder, and the best hybrid rangefinder.
Top 6 Golf Rangefinders: Comparison Table
Bushnell Pro X2
Nikon Coolshot 20
|Best Value for Money||
Precision Pro NX7 Pro
TecTecTec VPRO 500
|Best GPS Distance Finder||
Golf Buddy Voice 2
|Best Hybrid Rangefinder||
Best Rangefinder Reviews
#1 Bushnell Pro X2
- Designed and manufactured by industry leader Bushnell
- Dual display technology (DDT), which makes viewing numbers a breeze in different light conditions
- Pinseeker with JOLT technology to ensure maximum accuracy
- Slope switch toggle to easily switch between modes
- Conforms to USGA and R&A rules
- Durable, waterproof design
- Ergonomic design that fits into your hand for ease of use
- Range to a flag up to 450 yards
- 6x magnification
- Hefty price tag
Pro X2 Review
Their cutting edge technology improves with every new model that hits the shelves.
The Pro X2 is one of their best rangefinders and the popularity of this rangefinder backs that up.
The Pro X2 ticks all of the boxes both in terms of durability and usability. The easy to use Pro X2 is equipped with Bushnell’s signature dual-display technology (DDT) and Pinseeker with JOLT technology.
DDT offers two high visibility modes for different light conditions and Pinseeker with JOLT ensures maximum accuracy.
Slope compensation can be activated with the flip of a switch. This is a great feature for golfers that compete in events. Slope technology can’t be used in tournament play but if permitted by the tournament distance calculating rangefinders can be used.
The armored housing of the Pro X2 ensures that it will withstand regular falls and bumps that can occur out on the course. In addition, the Pro x2 is also fully waterproof. With a range of 450 yards, you will always know what your distance to your target is with the help of this industry-leading rangefinder.
#2 Nikon Coolshot 20
- Range of up to 550 yards
- Small compact lightweight design, weighs just 4.4 ounces
- First Target Priority Mode, this technology ensures maximum accuracy
- Waterproof design that can be used in wet rainy conditions
- Retails at an affordable price tag
- 6x magnification
- The Coolshot 20 doesn’t have the option to measure slope
Coolshot 20 Review
Many of us know Nikon for their cameras but they are also one of the leading global golf rangefinder manufacturers.
The Coolshot has an impressive range of 550 yards and with 6x magnification, you will be able to see your target in the distance with ease.
The Coolshot 20 weighs just 4.4 ounces, this small lightweight compact rangefinder definitely won’t weigh your bag down.
The First Target Priority Mode technology utilized in the Coolshot 20 ensures maximum accuracy when measuring the distance to your desired target. Unfortunately, the Coolshot 20 doesn’t calculate slope, but besides that, it’s very difficult to find fault with this top affordable distance finder.
#3 Precision Pro Golf NX7 Pro
Best Value Golf Rangefinder
- 400-yard range
- Adaptive slope technology, calculates the distance to the target that includes undulation
- 6x magnification which ensures a clear view of your target
- Free lifetime battery replacement
- 2-year warranty
- Vibration jolt when target is locked in
- Affordable price tag
- Precision Pro isn’t a leading golf rangefinder brand
NX7 Pro Review
Conditions on a golf course can be tough, thus having a durable rangefinder is very important.
The NX7 features a water-resistant and shockproof design, ensuring that golfers can use their NX7 with peace of mind regardless of what the elements throw their way.
The NX7 Pro features Target Acquisition Technology (TAG), TAG ensures accuracy, thus giving golfers peace of mind knowing that they have a precise distance to their target.
Precision Pro offers a free battery replacement service, having free battery replacements for the life of your product is a great perk to have.
The NX7 Pro features slope technology, this ensures that golfers can obtain accurate distances to their target regardless of undulation. This slope function can be switched off with ease in order to make the NX7 Pro legal for tournament play.
#4 TecTecTec VPRO 500
Best Budget Option
- The VPRO500 should actually be named the VPRO540, it has an impressive range of 540 yards
- Locating your target is easy with the VPRO500, the high quality monocular display of the VPRO500 magnifies images up to 6 times
- The VPRO500 features advanced PinSensor technology, this technology ensures accurate measurements even when overlapping objects are present, this includes rain or fog.
- The VPRO500 also features Pinseeker: First Target Priority technology, this technology ensures that it picks up the distance between you and the object that is closest to you. This feature is very useful on tree lined golf courses.
- The VPRO500 features a 1 year warranty and a 30 day 100% money back guarantee policy
- The VPRO500 retails at an affordable price point
- TecTecTec are new to the industry, some golfers might have a hard time trusting a new manufacturer in comparison to an industry leader
- The VPRO500 isn’t waterproof, on wet days you will have to make sure to keep it dry and out of the rain
VPRO 500 Review
Rangefinders have become a must-have item in a golfers bag and if you are serious about improving your game then it is a must make investment.
The VPRO500 is the perfect rangefinder for first-time buyers, it features all of the necessary technology and its affordable price tag is an added bonus.
The technology featured in the VPRO500 includes: Pinseeker technology, this technology ensures accurate readings when overlapping objects such as rain or fog are present.
Pinseeker: First Target Priority Mode, this technology displays the distance to the closest available object, a feature that ensures accurate distances on tree-lined golf courses.
In addition, the VPRO500 magnifies objects up to 6 times its original size and it has a range of up to 540 yards.
TecTecTec are serious about satisfying their customers, the VPRO500 comes with a 1-year warranty and a 30 day 100% money-back guarantee.
It is difficult to find any cons about the VPRO500, unfortunately, it isn’t waterproof, thus you will have to keep it dry on a rainy day. Other than that purchasing the VPRO500 will make finding your distance to your desired target a breeze.
#5 Golf Buddy Voice 2
Best GPS golf distance finder under $100
- Easy to use talking GPS that assists with distances out on the golf course
- Calculates distances to the front, center and back of the green of the hole that you are playing
- Up to 14 hours of battery life
- Waterproof design that can be used regardless of the weather conditions
- Male/female voice options
- Affordable price tag
- Pre-loaded with over 38 000 courses around the globe
- No subscription fees
- Can be worn as a watch or on your belt
- Doesn’t provide exact distances to the flag
- Offers limited information from the tee with regards to carry distances over fairway bunkers etc.
Golf Buddy Voice 2 Review
This compact device can either clip onto your belt or with the purchase of a Golf Buddy wrist strap it can be worn as a watch.
The Golf Buddy Voice 2 calls out the distance to the front, center, and back of the green and it also measures the distance that you hit your previous shot.
The Golf Buddy is perfect for the regular golfer that doesn’t want to get bombarded with lots of information.
The voice setting can be adjusted to be either male or female and its impressive battery life of 14 hours ensures that you will never be left guessing as to how far away you are from the green.
The Golf Buddy is indeed your buddy out on the golf course. Its only drawback is that it doesn’t measure exact distances to the flag or any other target.
If precision is what you are after then you will definitely be better off by purchasing a rangefinder instead.
#6 Bushnell Bundle
Best Hybrid Rangefinder
- Designed by rangefinder industry leader, Bushnell
- Fully integrated display that features both laser and GPS yardages
- Dual battery sources that separately powers the rangefinder and the GPS display
- PinSeeker with JOLT technology that ensures maximum accuracy
- Slope switch technology that can be switched on and off with the press of a button
- Automatically recognizes the golf courses that you are playing for GPS calculations (front, center, and back of green)
- Affordable price tag
- Can’t be used in tournament play due to its GPS functionality
- GPS function needs to be recharged on a regular basis with a USB charger
It is a combination of a standard rangefinder and a GPS distance tracker.
The Hybrid features a fully integrated display that shows both the GPS as well as the rangefinder distance.
The Hybrid features Bushnell’s signature Pinseeker with JOLT technology which ensures maximum accuracy. This combo distance tracker can calculate slope and this feature can be switched on or off with the press of a button.
The GPS function of the Hybrid measures the distance to the front, center, and back of the green and it automatically recognizes the golf course that you are playing.
Many golfers might think that this device is too complicated for them, but if you enjoy access to information then you will definitely enjoy this affordable rangefinder by the top manufacturer, Bushnell.
Bushnell Tour V4 Shift vs Bushnell Tour V4 JOLT golf laser rangefinder
The Bushnell Tour V4 Shift and the Tour V4 JOLT rangefinders are both high-end rangefinders designed and manufactured by industry leader, Bushnell.
These two rangefinders are very similar in terms of design, both can “shoot” a target 400 yards away, both magnify the view of the target by 5 times and both are water-resistant.
The difference between these two rangefinders is that the V4 Shift can calculate slope with the flip of a switch.
The V4 Shift is also a bit more pricey than the V4 JOLT. The V4 JOLT vibrates when it has locked in and calculated the distance to your desired target.
Both are high-end rangefinders and will be a welcome addition to the bag of any golfer, the one you decide to go with will depend on your personal preferences/needs.
Slope or no slope – what’s the difference
Rangefinders with slope factor in undulation when calculating the distance to your target. Rangefinders without slope simply calculate the yard/meter number to your target.
If your home course is fairly flat a rangefinder with slope won’t be necessary, if you play on undulating courses on a regular basis then it will be worth your while to purchase a rangefinder with slope.
Professional golfers and amateurs that compete at big events use rangefinders with slope in their practice rounds. This allows them to make notes in their yardage books of undulation and it allows them to calculate exact distances when playing in the tournament.
What is Dual Display Technology (DDT)?
Rangefinders with Dual Display Technology (DDT) feature multiple display options. In simpler terms, it means that with the press of a button the numbers (distance) displayed can either be in black or red.
The vivid red display is highly visible in dark conditions, in contrast, the sharp black display is ideal for bright conditions.
What is Pinseeker JOLT Technology?
Accuracy is very important when using a rangefinder. It is very easy to “shoot” a tree behind the green instead of the flag.
Pinseeker JOLT technology is a built-in feature that gives off a jolt as soon as the rangefinder has accurately detected the distance to the pin.
This feature ensures accuracy and it gives peace of mind to the golfer. With that being said always pay attention to your surroundings, especially if the course you are playing is tree-lined.
It only takes a couple of extra seconds to “shoot” an additional point of reference to ensure that you accurately detected the distance to the flag.
Benefits of Golf Rangefinders (Why to Use One)
If you are serious about improving your golf game then a golf rangefinder is a must. With a rangefinder in hand, you will be able to calculate the exact distance to the flag, the distance to carry a bunker of the tee, etc.
This amount of accuracy in terms of distance calculation will ensure both consistency and confidence out on the course which in return will lead to lower scores.
How long do rangefinders last?
Rangefinders don’t have an exact lifetime, if you take good care of your rangefinder it can last for many years. The majority of golfers either lose their rangefinder or they decide to upgrade to new technology before having to buy a new device due to breakages etc.
What is a “Tournament Legal” rangefinder?
Tournament legal rangefinders are rangefinders that only calculate distance and that can be used in both amateur and professional tournaments that allow for the use of measuring devices in their tournament/local rules.
What are the Disqualifying Features?
If a rangefinder can calculate slope or any other exterior factors such as wind then it isn’t legal for use in a tournament.
Rangefinders with GPS capabilities such as the Bushnell Hybrid, for example, is also not legal for tournament use.
With so many rangefinders to choose from picking a winner was no easy choice. Bushnell has and continues to be the leading manufacturer of rangefinders and you definitely won’t go wrong by adding one of these to your golf bag.
The Bushnell Pro X2 is the best rangefinder for 2020, if you are serious about lowering your scores invest in this top distance finder.