Titleist is the number one ball in golf, but leading manufacturers such as TaylorMade are continuously trying to take over that number one position. Let’s take a closer look at how Taylormade’s premium golf ball, the TP5, compares in a head to head comparison to the industry leading Pro V1 in terms of distance, greenside control, durability and price.
It is difficult to bet against the number one ball in golf, but there is no doubt that the TP5 will be a worthy contender in this matchup. Both of these golf balls are packed with technology that delivers maximum distance, great feel and a durable design that is sure to make a difference to any golfers game.
Read also: Titleist Pro V1 vs Pro V1X
TaylorMade TP5 vs. Titleist Pro V1 Comparison Table[amazon table=”2215″]
TaylorMade TP5 Review
- The TP5 features an advanced 5 piece construction
- The TP5 delivers exceptional distance as a result of optimized spin rates
- The TP5 is a mid compression golf ball, it features a compression of 85. Players with an average swing speed will be able to maximize the performance of the TP5
- The mid compression of the TP5 ensures exceptional short game control as a result of added wedge spin
- The TP5 offers more than just distance, it offers exceptional workability along with a mid ball flight
- The soft tough cast urethane cover system of the TP5 is extremely durable
- The TP5 features a hefty price tag
- Players with above average swing speeds will gain added performance by going with the high compression TP5x instead
The TaylorMade TP5 golf ball features one of the most advanced designs in the industry. The 5 piece construction of the TP5 offers unprecedented distance and greenside control. Distance is maximized as a result of the Tri-Fast Core which maximizes carry distances and reduces drag.
In addition the new speed layer system utilized in the design of the TP5 also promotes added length due to increases in ball speeds. There is more to the TP5 than just distance, it offers exceptional greenside control and its durable Dual-Spin Cover ensures soft feel. The TP5 features a mid compression of 85, thus you don’t have to take a lash at it in order to maximize performance. Besides its high retail price there really isn’t anything bad to say about the TP5.See the price and read reviews
Titleist Pro V1 Review
- The Pro V1 is designed by the leading golf ball manufacturer in the industry and it is the golf ball of choice for the world’s best players including Justin Thomas, Adam Scott and many more
- The Pro V1 offers exceptional greenside control and feel
- The Pro V1 also maximizes distance by reducing spin rates on long irons and woods
- The dimple configuration of the Pro V1 promotes a penetrating ball flight
- It features a soft yet durable Thermoset Urethane Elastomer cover system
- The Pro V1 features a premium price tag
- Slow swinging players won’t be able to maximize performance of the pro V1 with its 90 compression
The Pro V1 offers both exceptional greenside control and feel and distance. The 3 piece design of the Pro V1 is simple yet powerful and effective. It features a new next generation 2.0 ZG Process core, this new core maximizes balls speeds of the clubface and it minimizes spin which results in maximum distance.
Ball speeds are further enhanced with the help of a responsive isomeric casing layer. The spherically tiled 352 dimple design of the Pro V1 promotes a penetrating ball flight, it also ensures stability in windy conditions.
The Thermoset Urethane Elastomer cover system of the Pro V1 doesn’t just offer exceptional feel around the greens, it is also very durable and the new Pro V1 is also available in yellow. The Pro V1 is expensive, but it is one of the best golf balls that money can buy and it is set to make a difference to your game.See the price and read reviews
TaylorMade TP5 vs. Titleist Pro V1 Head to head Comparison
Both of these golf balls are renowned for maximizing distance. It is a close battle but the TP5 with its new speed layer system is proving to be the longer of these two golf balls. Rickie Fowler switched over to the TP5 from the Pro V1 at the beginning of 2019 and he claims to have gained 5-10 yards off the tee.
Greenside control and feel
Both the Pro V1 and the TP5 offer exceptional feel around the greens. This is another closely contested battle but the Pro V1 emerges victorious in this case. The new Next Generation 2.0 ZG Process core of the Pro V1 in combination with its Thermoset Urethane Elastomer cover system ensures greenside control and feel that is second to none.
The durability matchup is a halve, both the Pro V1 and the TP5 feature a urethane based cover system. Urethane cover systems are extremely durable and your golf ball will look like new for 18+ holes.
Premium golf balls carry a premium price tag. Both the Pro V1 and the TP5 are expensive and the price matchup is also halved. But don’t be deterred by their price, splurging on either of these golf balls will be worth it.
TaylorMade TP5 vs. Titleist Pro V1: And the winner is…
The Pro V1 might be the winner to some, and others will pick the TP5 instead. It all depends on your golf game and what you need out of a golf ball. If you need added distance then the TP5 will be the winner for you.
If you hit the ball long enough but you are lacking feel and control around the greens then the Pro V1 will be the winner for you. Give both golf balls a test run and choose the one that performs the best for your swing and game.