The modern professional golfer hits the golf ball further than ever before. Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Brooks Koepka, Rory McIlroy and the list goes on and on. The distance “boom” can be contributed to a number of different factors, these factors include driver design improvements, clubhead speed gains due to physical training and golf ball design improvements. The design of the golf ball is arguably the leading contributor to extra distance. Let’s take a closer look at some of the longest golf balls currently available on the market. A thorough review of 2019’s longest golf balls might just help you to find a new golf ball that will add that extra distance you’ve been looking for.
Titleist, TaylorMade, Srixon, Bridgestone and Callaway all have golf balls in their lineup that are designed to ensure maximum distance. In order to maximize distance it is key to play with the best golf ball for you personally. Distance is maximized when a golf ball is compressed adequately, in return swing speed and compression are directly correlated. Titleist is the number 1 ball in golf, but the only way to determine the longest golf balls in golf for 2019 is to do a thorough review of a variety of different golf balls from different manufacturers.
The Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X golf balls are the number 1 golf balls in golf, fast swinging players can’t go wrong with either of these models if they are seeking maximum distance. Slower swinging players that struggle to compress the golf ball, will definitely gain distance by adding either the Callaway Supersoft or the Bridgestone Tour B RX or Tour B RXS to their bag.
Longest Hitting Golf Balls: FAQ
A host of questions jump to mind when choosing which golf ball to play with. Should I play with a 2 or 3 piece golf ball? What compression golf ball should I play with? Which golf ball is best for my swing speed? Not to worry below we will answer all of those questions in depth and we will also review the longest golf balls for 2019.
Do hard or soft golf balls go further?
There is no one line answer to this question. It can be either, it depends on the compression of the golf ball and the swing speed of the player that is hitting the golf ball. The feel of a golf ball is more relevant in terms of greenside control, maximum distance depends on compression and swing speed.
Are low compression golf balls longer than high compression golf balls?
The compression of golf balls vary, in order to maximize distance it is important to compress the golf ball efficiently at impact. Swing speed and efficient compression of the golf ball are directly correlated. Players with a below average swing speed will maximize distance by playing with a low compression golf ball, and in return players with an above average swing speed will maximize distance by playing with a high compression golf ball.
The Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X golf balls are the number 1 golf balls used by professional golfers, but just because the pros use it doesn’t mean that it is the best choice for you personally.
Do multi layer golf balls go further than two-piece golf balls?
There are no straight answers when it comes to this question. Multi layer golf ball designs tend to be either 3 or 4 piece golf balls with a mid to high compression. Two piece golf balls tend to have a lower compression point.
Players with an above average swing speed will gain more distance out of the multi-layer golf balls, in return players with below average swing speeds will gain maximum distance by using a low compression two piece golf ball instead. Make sure to choose a golf ball design with characteristics that match your swing speed.
What effect does altitude have on distance?
Does a golf ball travel less at sea level?
Altitude plays a major role in terms of the distance that a golf ball travels. At sea level, the ball travels much shorter distances than at altitude.
A good example of how distances change because of altitude is at the WGC Mexico Championship played at Club de Golf Chapultepec, the altitude is always a big talking point ahead of this event. It is common to hit either one or sometimes two clubs less simply because of the altitude.
The altitude at Club de Golf Chapultepec is roughly 7800 feet above sea level, at this height, it will be common for players to hit two clubs less than what they would at sea level. Use your home course altitude as the baseline, if you travel make sure to check the altitude of a new course that you play at and adjust accordingly.
Review of the longest golf balls for 2019
Overall winner: Titleist Pro V1
- The Pro V1 is the number 1 golf ball on professional tours around the world, it is the golf ball of choice for Justin Thomas, Adam Scott and a host of other world leading players
- The Pro V1 offers exceptional greenside control and feel
- The low spinning Pro V1 offers exceptional distance especially with a long iron or wood in hand
- The Pro V1 design promotes a penetrating ball flight, a penetrating ball flight ensures maximum roll out which in return adds extra distance
- The Pro V1 is a high compression golf ball, players with below average swing speeds won’t be able to compress the Pro V1 adequately in order to maximize distance
- The Pro V1 is a premium tour grade golf ball with a premium price tag
ReviewThe industry-leading Titleist Pro V1 is arguably the best golf ball that money can buy. The Pro V1 is renowned for its exceptional feel and extraordinary distance. Two of the longest hitters on the PGA Tour, Justin Thomas and Tony Finau both play with the Pro V1. The 2019 Pro V1 features a new Next Generation 2.0 ZG Process core, this new core design minimizes spin and maximizes ball speeds at impact to ensure exceptional distance. Ball speeds are further enhanced with the help of a responsive isomeric casing layer. The 352 dimple design of the Pro V1 promotes a penetrating ball flight, a penetrating ball flight doesn’t just maximize distance, it is also very effective in windy conditions. There is more to the Pro V1 than just distance, the Pro V1 also offers exceptional greenside control and feel and it features a durable cover system. The Pro V1 is more suited towards faster swinging players, slow swinging players won’t be able to enjoy maximum benefits out of the Pro V1. The Pro V1 does carry a hefty price tag, but it is worth the spend considering that it is the number 1 ball in golf. See the price and read reviews
Runner up: Bridgestone Tour B RX
- Bridgestone does industry leading testing when designing their golf balls, if Bryson DeChambeau approves then so should you
- The Tour B RX design promotes maximum distance for players with an average clubhead speed
- The Tour B RX features Bridgestone’s signature Gradational Compression Core, this core delivers extremely high ball speeds which maximizes distance and increases accuracy
- The SlipRes urethane cover of the Tour B RX golf balls are extremely durable
- The aerodynamic dual dimple design of the Tour B RX increases ball speeds which subsequently increases distance
- The Tour B RX features Bridgestone’s proprietary seamless cover technology, this technology ensures exceptional overall golf ball performance
- The Tour B RX features a hefty price tag
- The Tour B RX isn’t the best choice for players with faster than average swing speeds
ReviewBridgestone is slowly but surely establishing itself as one of the best golf ball manufacturers in golf. Tiger Woods and Bryson DeChambeau both play with Bridgestone golf balls, if it is good enough for two of the best in the world then it should definitely be good enough for any other golfer. The Tour B RX golf ball from Bridgestone caters to players with average swing speeds that are seeking additional distance. Gone are the days where you have to change you swing to add distance, being longer of the tee could be as easy as changing your golf ball. The Tour B RX features a variety of design characteristics that enhance distance. Both the Gradational Compression Core and aerodynamic dimple design of the Tour B RX maximizes distance. The Tour B RX doesn’t just offer distance, it also delivers great greenside control and feel. The Tour B RX is an exceptional golf ball, it’s premium price tag is the only potential deterring factor but the results definitely make it worth the spend. See the price and read reviews
Longest golf ball for players with below average swing speeds: Callaway Supersoft
- The Supersoft features a ultra-low compression core, this core design reduces spin which in return maximizes distance and accuracy through high ball speeds
- Players with below average swing speeds are able to compress the Supersoft with ease in order to maximize distance
- The HEX dimple design of the Supersoft with its aerodynamic features reduces drag which enhances lift to ensure longer carry distances
- The durable Tri-onomer cover system featured on the Supersoft ensures added spin and exceptional feel around the greens
- The Supersoft features an affordable price tag
- The two piece design of the Supersoft can’t compete against premium multi layer golf ball designs in terms of features
- The Supersoft won’t offer maximum benefits to fast swinging players that are seeking maximum distance
The Supersoft received its name with good reason, the ultra-low compression core of the Supersoft compresses with ease to ensure maximum distance for players with a below average swing speed. The signature HEX dimple design of the Supersoft reduces drag which in return enhances lift and carry distances.
The Tri-onomer cover system featured on the Supersoft is very durable and it also offers exceptional greenside feel and control. The Supersoft is a great option for slow swinging players that are in the market for a high performing affordable golf ball.
The design of the Supersoft might not have all of the features that the premium golf balls on the market have, but it remains the longest option for players with a below average swing speed that are looking for added distance.
Longest golf ball for players with above average swing speeds: TaylorMade TP5x
- The 2019 TaylorMade TP5x design optimizes spin rates and has a greater rebound effect than previous models, both of these factors ensure that the TP5x is one of the longest golf balls on the market
- The TP5x golf ball is a high compression golf ball that is best suited for players with above average swing speeds
- The TP5x features an advanced 5 layer construction, the Tri-Fast Core of the TP5x delivers maximum carry and low drag which in return ensures maximum distance
- The TP5x features a Dual-Spin Cover, this cover isn’t only durable, it also offers exceptional soft feel
- The TP5x features TaylorMade’s new speed layer system, this system is comprised out of four increasingly stiff layers, these layers produce added ball speeds which maximizes distance. The speed layer system also ensures better control in windy conditions and added spin around the greens
- The 2019 TP5x features a new material called HFM (high flex material), this material ensures a greater rebound effect which maximizes distance
- The TP5x features a hefty price tag
- The TP5x is a high compression golf ball, players with below average swing speeds will get better results by playing with a mid/low compression golf ball
Dustin Johnson plays with the all new 2019 TP5x, judging by his recent form it is safe to say that Dustin is very content with his equipment. TaylorMade are renowned for being the number 1 driver in golf, but they don’t just design and manufacturer the best drivers in golf, they also produce industry leading irons, wedges, fairway woods, and golf balls.
The 2019 TP5x golf ball is packed with technology that maximizes distance, some of these distance enhancing characteristics includes a Tri-Fast Core, a speed layer system and the use of high flex material. The TP5x is designed to maximize distance, but it offers more than just length, the TP5x also offers exceptional short game feel and control.
The TP5x does come with a hefty price tag, but some of the best golfers in the world are trusting the TP5x, there is no reason why you shouldn’t.
Best value for money distance golf ball: Vice Pro Plus
- The Vice Pro Plus golf ball is known for its exceptional distance
- The Vice Pro Plus is easy to compress for players with average swing speeds
- The Vice Pro Plus design features an added casing layer in its design, this layer is responsible for delivering extreme length
- The Vice Pro Plus features a durable urethane cover system, this cover system also features a UV resistant BJ13 coating
- A KIL (“keep in line”) putting line is featured on the Vice Pro Plus, this line helps with alignment on the greens
- The Vice Pro Plus has a large core, the size of the core ensures high energy absorption and the result is exceptional soft feel and greenside control
- The Vice Pro Plus is available at a very affordable price point, a variety of color options are also available
- Vice is a newcomer to the golf ball industry, many golfers will be reluctant to play with a basically unknown golf ball
- The Vice Pro Plus is best for players with above average swing speeds, slower swinging players will benefit more by playing with a low compression golf ball instead
Vice is a newcomer to the golf ball market. Vice is the brainchild of two German law students turned entrepreneurs and their main objective is to manufacture and sell premium golf balls at an affordable price direct to the consumer.
The Vice Pro Plus model is a 4 piece mid compression golf ball, the Pro Plus features a large core which increases energy absorption at impact, the result is increased ball speeds and added distance. The Pro Plus delivers more than just distance, it features a versatile DuPont HPF outer casing layer, this casing layer maximizes short game spin and it ensures soft greenside feel.
In addition, the casing layer also promotes a penetrating ball flight by delivering a lower launch angle for fast swinging players, yet another feature that enhances distance. The Pro Plus features a durable UV protected outer layer to ensure that your golf ball looks like new after 18 holes.
Vice is ready to shake up the golf ball industry, make sure to try out a Vice golf ball, you might just find a new favorite golf ball at a more affordable price point.
What is the longest “illegal” golf ball?
The longest golf balls on the market seem to get longer and longer every year, the distance that some of the world’s best players hit the golf ball almost seems like it should be illegal.
All of the golf balls reviewed in this article are legal and conform to USGA standards, but there are some golf balls available for purchase that don’t conform to USGA standards. The Nitro LD+20 golf ball is basically so long that it is illegal, the design of the LD+20 is optimized in such a way that it exceeds USGA standards for distance.
So, what’s the best golf ball for distance?
After thoroughly reviewing some of the longest golf balls for 2019 it is clear that different players need to play with different golf balls depending on a variety of factors in order to maximize distance.
Players with below average swing speeds will gain more distance by playing with a low compression golf ball, in return fast swinging players will gain more distance by playing with a high compression golf ball.
Choose a golf ball that is best suited for your game, try out a few options and ultimately stick to the one that gives you the best results on a consistent basis.