TaylorMade is renowned for being the number 1 driver in golf, but they design and manufacture more than just drivers. Their latest golf ball releases, the TP5 and TP5x are some of the best golf balls currently available on the market. Some of the worlds best players including Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy both play with the TP5x and TP5 respectively. Let’s take a closer look at these two golf balls to find out what the difference is between them by reviewing and comparing them in a head to head matchup.
At first glance it doesn’t seem like there is a big difference between these two golf balls, but a thorough review will give us more insight into what separates the TP5 from the TP5x. Both feature a similar design and the end result will more than likely be a tie in this heavyweight head to head battle. Jumping to conclusions won’t lower your scores, instead lets help you choose which TP5 golf ball to add to your golf bag by comparing these two models in terms of compression, distance (swing speed), feel, durability and driver spin.
TaylorMade TP5 vs TP5x: Comparison Table
TaylorMade TP5 Review
- The TP5 delivers maximum distance as a result of a greater rebound effect and optimized spin rates
- The TP5 has a mid compression of 85, players with average swing speeds will be able to get maximum performance out of the TP5
- The mid compression TP5 delivers added wedge spin to ensure exceptional short game control
- The TP5 delivers a workable mid trajectory ball flight
- The TP5 features a durable cover system that will last for 18+ holes
- The 5 piece construction of the TP5 is packed with technology to ensure that it is one of the most advanced golf balls on the market
- The TP5 carries an above average premium price tag
- The mid compression TP5 is is best suited towards players with average swing speeds, players with an above average swing speed will gain more by opting for the high compression TP5x instead.
The TaylorMade TP5 is currently one of the best golf balls on the market. The 5 piece construction of the TP5 is an advanced design that offers both exceptional distance and greenside control.
Distance is optimized in the design of the TP5 through the following design features: a Tri-Fast Core that delivers maximum carry distance and low drag, and the use of Taylormade’s new speed layer system.
The new speed layer system consists out of four increasingly stiff layers that produce added ball speeds. The TP5 offers more than just distance, it also offers exceptional greenside control and feel.
The Dual-Spin Cover of the TP5 is exceptionally durable and it also ultra soft feel from tee to green. The 85 compression of the TP5 is a mid compression, thus players with average swing speeds will be able to maximize performance when playing with the TP5. It is difficult to say something bad about the TP5 besides its high retail value.
TaylorMade TP5x Review
- The 2019 TP5x is one of the longest golf balls on the market for 2019
- The TP5x design optimizes spin rates, the result is maximized distance
- The TP5x golf ball is best suited for players with above average swing speeds due to its high compression
- The TP5x features an advanced 5 piece design. The Tri Fast Core of the TP5x is the distance producing layer, the core design maximizes carry and limits drag to deliver unprecedented distance
- The Dual-Spin cover of the TP5x isn’t just extremely durable, it also offers exceptional soft feel especially around the greens
- The 2019 TP5x features TaylorMade’s new speed layer system. The speed layer system is made up out of 4 layers with increasing stiffness which produce enhanced ball speeds, added control in windy conditions and greenside spin.
- A new material called HFM (high flex material) is utilized in the design of the TP5x, this material enhances the rebound effect which maximizes distance
- The TP5x does come with a premium price tag
- The TP5x isn’t recommended to players with below average swing speeds due to its high compression
Dustin Johnson added the TP5x golf ball to his bag when it was still in the testing phase in 2018 and he hasn’t looked back since.
Dustin has played some exceptional golf in the beginning months of 2019 and the TP5x has definitely contributed towards this. The TP5x is renowned for its distance, but it is a premium golf ball that performs on all levels. The TP5x design maximizes distance with the help of its Tri Fast Core, the use of HFM and a new speed layer system.
The TP5x delivers in terms of distance, but it also offers exceptional greenside feel and control. The TP5x does come at a price, but fast swinging players will definitely benefit by adding a sleeve of TP5x golf balls to their bag for their next round.
Taylormade TP5 vs TaylorMade TP5x Head to Head Review
TP5 vs TP5x Driver Spin (Distance)
Both the TP5 and TP5x features the same design characteristics that maximize distance through the optimization of spin rates. Driver spin rate differences will depend on the swing speed of the player hitting the golf ball, if the players swing speed is lower than the compression number of the golf ball then spin rates won’t be optimized and distance will be lost.
TP5 vs TP5x Compression
Compression is one of the few differences between the 2019 TP5 and TP5x golf balls. The TP5 has the lowest compression between these two golf balls. The compression of the TP5 is 85 and the compression of the TP5x is much higher at 97.
The TP5 is thus better for players with an average swing speed, players with an above average swing speed will benefit more by playing with the TP5x instead.
TP5 vs TP5x Swing Speed
Swing speed and golf ball compression is directly correlated. High compression golf balls are designed for fast swinging players and vice versa.
Players with average swing speeds will be able to maximize the performance of the TP5, a faster swing speed will be required to maximize the performance of the TP5x. Make sure you know what your average driver swing speed is when shopping for golf balls.
TP5 vs TP5x Durability and Feel
Both the TP5 and TP5x feature Taylormade’s Dual-Spin Cover system. This soft-tough cast urethane cover is extremely durable and it also offers exceptional soft feel from tee to green.
TP5 vs TP5x Difference
The TP5 and TP5x are very similar in terms of design, both feature a 5 piece construction and both golf balls feature Taylormade’s new speed layer system with a Tri-Fast Core and Dual Spin Cover system.
The difference between these two golf balls exist in terms of compression and ball flight. The TP5 has a mid compression of 85, in comparison the compression of the TP5x is 97.
The other difference between these two golf balls are in terms of ball flight. The TP5 promotes a workable mid height ball flight, in comparison the TP5 promotes a more piercing high ball flight.
The winner in this head to head matchup is without a doubt TaylorMade. Both of these golf balls feature exceptional designs that promote maximum distance without compromising on greenside control and feel. After thoroughly reviewing both the TP5 and TP5x the only difference between these two golf balls is their compression and ball flight.
When comparing these two golf balls in order to determine which one you want to add to your golf bag make sure to do so by playing with the model that matches your swing speed in terms of compression.
Both the TP5 and TP5x retail at an above average price, but the performance of these two golf balls will make it worth the spend.