Amateurs and especially high handicapper beginners tend to lose anywhere between 3 and 5 golf balls per round, sometimes even more. It adds up over the course of the year, but not to worry in this review we are going to look at some of the best cheap budget golf balls currently available on the market. Budget golf balls feature high performing designs, and who knows the cheap Srixon might actually be a better fit for your game than the expensive Pro V1. In addition to reviewing cheap golf balls, we will also look at new golf balls such as Vice that feature a premium design at a fraction of the price of its counterparts.
What are the best cheap golf balls in 2019? All of the leading golf ball manufacturers including Titleist, Srixon, Callaway, and Bridgestone design and manufacture affordable budget golf balls. In addition companies such as Vice design and manufacture premium golf balls that retails at a much lower price. Saving money on golf balls doesn’t have to harm your golf game, it might actually help you to save a couple of shots per round.
Top 6 Best Cheap Golf Balls
|BEST CHEAP GOLF BALL
Bridgestone e6 Speed
|BEST BUDGET DISTANCE
Wilson Tour Velocity
|BEST CHEAP MID/HIGH COMPRESSION
|BEST VALUE FOR MONEY
|BEST UNDER $20 PER DOZEN
Srixon Soft Feel
#1 Bridgestone e6 Speed
Best cheap golf ball
- The e6 Speed features a premium 3 piece design. Bridgestone have spent extended resources to conduct testing for their golf ball manufacturing and it is evident in the design of the e6 Speed.
- The e6 Speed produces great greenside control and feel, its durable Surlyn cover plays a big part in this.
- The e6 Speed is known for its distance. Added distance is achieved as a result of low spin rates with both woods and long irons.
- The e6 delivers a very stable, straight ball flight in both calm and windy conditions. This stable ball flight is promoted by Bridgestone’s signature delta dimple pattern.
- The e6 is a premium golf bag with the price tag of a budget golf ball.
- The e6 Speed is a low/mid compression golf ball, it is a great golf ball for the average joe that wants to play with a high performing premium golf ball
- The e6 is a phenomenal golf ball, but other more advanced new releases are available on the market
The e6 Speed golf ball features an advanced high performing design. Bridgestone is renown for the industry leading research and testing that they have done in order to design and manufacture high-quality golf balls. The e6 Speed offers both great feel and maximum distance.
The soft durable Surlyn cover of the e6 Speed isn’t just very durable, it also offers exceptional soft feel and control around the greens. The e6 Speed delivers incredible distance, the e6 Speed produces exceptionally low spin rates on shots with the driver, woods and long irons and distance is maximized as a result.
The delta dimple pattern featured in the design of the e6 ensures a strong penetrating ball flight, this is especially evident in tough windy conditions. Arguably the best part about the e6 Speed is its very affordable price tag. In terms of design and price it will be difficult to find a better golf ball than the e6 Speed.
#2 Callaway Supersoft
- The Supersoft features a new core design, this new core design is a ultra low compression core that maximizes distance
- The Supersoft features Callaway’s signature HEX dimple design. This aerodynamic dimple design reduces drag which promotes lift, the result is maximum distance and longer carry distances
- The Supersoft got its name for a reason, the durable Tri-onomer cover system of the Supersoft ensures great feel on full shots and on shots on and around the greens
- The Supersoft features a very low compression, players with slow swing speeds will be able to compress it with ease in order to maximize performance
- The Supersoft is available in different color options
- The Supersoft features a very affordable price tag
- Players with high swing speeds will benefit more by playing with a mid/high compression golf ball instead of the very low compression Supersoft
The Supersoft is one of the best, if not the best, cheap low cost golf ball with soft feel available on the market. The Supersoft with its ultra low compression core delivers both exceptional distance and feel. The soft feel of the Supersoft is further enhanced with the help of the durable Tri-onomer cover system that is utilized in the design.
The Supersoft features Callaway’s signature HEX dimple design, this aerodynamic dimple patterns reduces drift which enhances carry distances. The Supersoft with its low compression design is easy to compress, players with slow swing speeds will be able to maximize the performance of this golf ball with ease.
The Supersoft is available in a variety of different color options, and potentially the best part of the Supersoft is its very affordable price tag. If you are looking for a high-quality affordable golf ball that offers exceptional soft feel then look no further.
#3 Wilson Tour Velocity
Best cheap distance golf ball
- The 2 piece Tour Velocity is a low/mid compression golf ball
- The Tour Velocity features a high energy core, this high energy core ensures optimal spin numbers and it enhances the flight of the ball to produce maximum distance
- The dimple pattern of the Tour Velocity also reduces spin rates which further enhances long game distance
- The Tour Velocity features a durable Ionomer cover system
- The Tour Velocity retails at a very affordable price point
- The Tour Velocity is designed for distance, this golf ball will disappoint if you are looking for soft feel on and around the greens
Wilson is one of the biggest sports equipment manufacturers around the world. In recent years they made the decision to blow new life into their golf equipment department. Wilson designs and manufactures high quality products at an affordable price. One of their best cheap golf balls is their Tour Velocity golf ball.
The Tour Velocity golf ball is designed with maximum distance as the driving force. The high energy core featured in this golf ball paired with Wilson’s unique dimple patterns delivers a golf ball that has low spin rates and that promotes an optimal ball flight which maximizes distance.
This mid compression golf ball has a compression of 70. The Tour Velocity does offer reasonable greenside control and feel since it is fairly easy to compress. A hard Ionomer cover is utilized in the design of the Tour Velocity, this cover is very durable and it also promotes maximum distance.
The Tour Velocity features a very affordable price tag and it is without a doubt one of the best cheap value for money golf balls currently available on the market. If distance is what you are after then look no further.
#4 Titleist Velocity
Best affordable mid/high compression golf ball for 2019
- The Velocity features a mid/high compression design
- The high speed LSX core featured in the design of the Velocity maximizes speed off of the clubface which ensures exceptional distance
- The NaZ+ cover system of the Velocity is very durable
- The spherically tiled 328 dimple design of the Velocity promotes a high ball flight with enhanced carry distances
- The Velocity is available in a variety of different colors
- This golf ball retails at a very affordable price point
- The Velocity isn’t renowned for its exceptional feel around the greens
- Players with a natural high ball flight might want to opt for a golf ball that promotes a penetrating ball flight instead
The Velocity is designed and manufactured by the leading golf ball producer in the game. The Velocity is a mid to high compression golf ball, Titleist doesn’t release specific compression numbers on their golf balls. The design of the Velocity promotes distance. The soft LSX core featured in the Velocity ensures playable greenside feel, but its main function is to increase ball speeds in order to maximize distance.
Distance and a high ball flight are promoted with the help of the spherically tiled 328 dimple design. The Velocity features a very durable NaZ+ cover system, and it is available in a variety of different colors.
The Velocity is a great fit for players that are seeking a mid/high compression distance golf ball that retails at an affordable price point.
#5 Vice Pro
Best value for money
- The 3 piece design of the Vice Pro mirrors that of one of the best golf balls on the market, the Titleist Pro V1
- The Vice Pro is renowned for its exceptional control and feel on and around the greens
- The Vice Pro features 318 dimples in it design. This dimple design promotes a stable ball flight in windy conditions
- The Vice Pro also delivers exceptional distance, this distance is achieved with the help of the high energy core that is featured in the design of the Vice Pro
- The Vice Pro comes in different colors, some of the color options includes: white, red and neon lime
- The Vice Pro is a high compression golf ball, players with high swing speeds that are looking for a budget golf ball with really enjoy the Vice Pro
- The Vice Pro is slightly more expensive that some other budget golf balls on the market. Keep in mind that the Vice Pro is a premium golf ball.
- Vice is a relatively new brand, some people might be sceptical to try out their golf balls
The Vice Pro is a 3 piece golf ball that mirrors the design of the number 1 ball in golf, the Titleist Pro V1. The Vice Pro offers both distance and greenside control. The high energy speed core featured in the Vice Pro delivers high ball speeds which results in added distance.
The Vice Pro isn’t just long, it also offers exceptional greenside control and feel. The cast urethane cover of the Vice Pro is very soft which ensures greenside control and feel. The Vice Pro design features 318 dimples, this dimple pattern promotes a controlled ball flight. The Vice Pro is a high compression golf ball, players with fast swing speeds will benefit most by playing with this golf ball.
The Vice Pro is an affordable alternative for players that enjoy playing with a premium golf ball. Give this cheap newbie a go, it might just become your golf ball of choice.
Srixon Soft Feel
Best cheap golf ball under $20 per dozen
- The 2 piece design of the Soft Feel delivers in terms of distance and feel
- A energetic growth core is utilized in the design of the Soft Feel, this core design maximizes distance as a result of increases in ball speeds, it also ensures soft feel on both short and long game shots
- The Soft Feel features a durable soft Ionomer cover system
- Beginners and players with slow swing speeds will be able to compress the low/mid compression Soft Feel with ease
- The Soft Feel features 338 dimples, this dimple patterns doesn’t only maximize distance, it also ensures a stable ball flight in windy conditions
- The Soft Feel retails at a very affordable price point
- It is a great golf ball for players with slow swing speeds, fast swinging players will be better of with a mid/high compression golf ball
The Soft Feel offers exceptional value for money, this cheap two-piece golf ball is affordable, its design maximizes distance and it offers soft feel around the greens. The Soft Feel is packed with the latest technology from Srixon.
The core of the new Soft Feel is a energetic gradient growth core, this core features a slightly firmer outside perimeter which in return maximizes distance as a result of higher ball speeds.
The Soft Feel features a durable Ionomer cover system, this cover offers both durability and exceptional soft feel. The Soft Feel has 338 dimples, this dimple design reduces drag and promotes a long, straight ball flight. The control of the flight of the Soft Feel is very evident in windy conditions. This cheap golf ball might just save you a couple of shots per round.
Budget Golf Ball Buyers Guide
Many amateur golfers play with any and every golf ball that they can lay their hands on. Yes this is a cheap budget friendly option, but playing with the correct golf ball might just save you a couple of shots per round. Let’s look at why you should play with a golf ball that is suitable for your game.
Compression is arguably one of the most important factors to consider when buying a golf ball. In order to maximize the performance of the ball you have to be able to compress the ball adequately. Adequate compression will ensure maximum distance and optimal spin rates.
Swing speed and compression are directly correlated. Players with low swing speeds will be better off with a low compression golf ball, players with an average swing speed with a mid compression golf ball and fast swinging players will gain maximum benefits out of high compression golf ball.
Swing speed below 70 mph – low compression
Swing speed between 70 and 90 mph – mid compression
Swing speed above 90 mph – mid/high compression
The durability of a golf ball is another important factor to consider. There is no point in buying a cheap golf ball that has poor durability. Majority of the leading golf ball manufacturers use high-quality materials when they design their cover systems which ensure good durability.
Feel and greenside control
Drive for show and putt for dough. A distance enhancing golf ball is important, but it is equally important to play with a golf ball that promotes good greenside control and feel. A good drive is useless if you can’t get your wedge shot to spin and stop on the green.
New golf balls are expensive, but luckily a host of high-quality golf balls are available on the market that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. Give a couple of cheap budget-friendly golf balls a try in order to find the best one for both your golf game and your wallet.
Is it ok to play with cheap used golf balls?
There is nothing wrong with playing with a used golf ball. The used golf ball industry is a huge market and it allows you to buy a premium golf ball at a fraction of the price. The only drawback is that the performance of cheap used golf balls can be affected depending on the history of the golf ball, i.e if it spent the last 6 months at the bottom of a lake it might not perform the way it should.
Does a golf ball have to be expensive in order to be good?
The answer is a big no. Price and golf ball performance aren’t directly correlated. A golf ball needs to suit your golf swing and swing speed in order for it to be a good fit for you.
Why are prior generation golf balls cheaper than new releases?
New versions/generations of a golf ball are generally released either annually or every other year. When a new version is released the price of the previous generation golf ball drops down. Manufacturers do this in order to get rid of the old stock.
Previous generation golf balls might not feature the latest and greatest technology, but they are often times some of the best cheap bargain deals on the market.
So, what’s the best cheap golf ball?
A high-quality golf ball that maximizes performance doesn’t have to break the bank. The market is packed with good cheap golf balls that will make a difference in the game of any golfer.
If you prefer a premium golf ball then look no further than the Bridgestone e6 Speed or the Vice Pro. Both of these golf balls feature advanced 3 piece designs and these two golf balls are in the same league as all of the other industry-leading premium offerings.
Slow swinging players will enjoy the performance and price of the Callaway Supersoft. For the distance seekers look no further than either the Wilson Tour Velocity or the Titleist Velocity. The Srixon Soft Feel is one of the best all-around value for money golf balls.
Give these cheap golf balls a go, you might just find a new favorite that works better for both your golf game and your bank account.
Table of Contents